According to a census study of IIEG (State Institute of Statistical and Geographical Information), the populations of Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit increased by 26.2% over the past 10 years. In 2010 the population for the Bay of Banderas was 380,000 whereas in 2020 it had increased to 479,500 inhabitants.
Puerto Vallarta makes up 60% of the population in the region with the remaining 40% residing in the neighboring state of Nayarit. According to IIEG, Riviera Nayarit's population increased by 51% while Puerto Vallarta's increased by only 14%.
IIEG also announced that 2.1% of the population was foreign (9,800 inhabitants), of which 56,880 were from the United States.