A favorite past time for many in Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit is golf and there are a number of courses in the area, although not all are available to the public. There are three courses (Marina Vallarta two courses at Vista Vallarta) in Puerto Vallarta while in Riviera Nayarit there are seven: Punta Mita (2), Vidanta (2), Paradise Village, Flamingos, and Litibú. The courses of Punta Mita, however, are private, so there are actually only eight open to the public, with limited play available at Vidanta because of demand during the high season.
If you want to golf regularly, a good option is to consider joining a club and becoming a member. Most clubs offer two types; a full member where 100% of the green fees are included, or a “sport” or “social” membership which costs less but involves still paying a portion (usually 50%) of the green fee when you play.
Interestingly, even though we are in Mexico and nearly everything is charged in the national currency of pesos, some golf courses around the bay still charge in U.S. dollars. With the recent devaluation of the Canadian and Mexican currencies, this has made golf substantially more expensive for these golfers than it was a few years ago.
Marina Vallarta Golf Club
(322) 221-0073 ext. 133
The golf course at Marina Vallarta is a challenging one, perhaps the most challenging of all the courses in the area. Fairways are narrow and there are plenty of water hazards throughout the course, including crocodiles! The have a new membership category called “Social” and it involves an annual fee of US$835.00 including taxes, which allows you 50% off posted rates and 25% off the posted rates at their sister courses at Vista Vallarta. Other benefits include:
- Access to dining and lounge areas
- 25% off food and beverages
- Unlimited use of the driving range
- Free bag storage
- Free day-locked (when available)
Green fee rates for 2016 are US$139.00 until 1PM and US$111.00 thereafter, (twilight) plus IVA tax.
If you want to go for the full 10-year membership it will cost you just over US$4,000 upfront with annual dues (including the cart), of nearly US$5,800.00, with taxes included. You’ve got to pay a lot of golf to get your money back on these amounts, a little difficult if you are only here six months of the year.
Vista Vallarta Golf
There are two golf courses at Vista Vallarta by Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf, but they do not offer a special membership package for those who may be here just a few months out of the year, only full-year memberships.
- Golf Rates - Prime Time: (7 a.m.-1p.m.) $209
- Twilight (1 p.m.): $155
- Super Twilight (3 p.m.): $111
- Replay (same day, same course): $113
Paradise Village Golf & Country Club
Over in Nuevo Vallarta is the El Tigre golf course inside the gates of Paradise Village. The also, offer a reduced package for locals called the “Sport” membership. It costs $1,740.00 per year also gives you 50% off posted green fee rates. Other benefits include:
- Access to the El Tigre Sports and Racquet Club
- Access to the Golf Clubhouse and restaurant facilities
- Access to the Beach Club
- Access to the Jacuzzi, saunas, etc., at the Hacienda Spa with 10% off spa treatments
- 10% off food and beverages
Flamingos offers reasonable priced golf and they do so in pesos. They offer a number of very flexible program: you can pay buy the day, buy a package rounds or purchase a six-month membership. The local daily rate is actually a very good one, at $1,290.00 pesos. Other rates are:
- Daylight rate: $2,538.00
- Twilight rate: $1,290.00
- Local rate: $1,290.00 (must show IFE or Immigration card)
- 5 Round Package: $5,655.00 (1 month)
- 10 Round Package: $10,295 (2 months)
- 20 Rounds Package: $18,850.00 (3 months)
- Gold Player Unlimited Membership: $40,600.00 (6 months)
Vidanta Golf Club
There are two great courses at Vidanta in Nuevo Vallarta, a Greg Norman and a Jack Nicklaus. As well, there is a 10-hole, par three walking course that is planned for the near future. During high season, however, tee times are often reserved for guests and owners only of Vidanta so it can be difficult to get tee times. Your odds are better during the off season, if you are in town. It should be noted that Vidanta has an excellent golf academy with twin and putting analysis, lessons, club fitting and actual on-the-course lessons available. Contact Vidanta directly for more information.
- Jack Nicklaus Rates: $150 plus Caddy Fee ($57 plus tip per group)
- Greg Norman Rates: $175 plus Caddy Fee ($57 plus tip per group)
Vidanta Summer Local Membership Plan
Vidanta has a summer membership plan for locals that costs $5,000 Pesos Per Month (Plus IVA) or $15,000 Pesos from April 1st to November 1st (Plus IVA) Caddy Fee Not Included in these fees. Because the resort is so busy during high season, these are the only dates they can offer access to locals.
- One Month or Season Long (Until 11/1/16)
- Add Spouse for 50% Off the Same Program Cost
- Unlimited Jr. Plan (15 Under/Walking Only) $1500 Month/$5,000 Season
- Proof of Local Residence Needed (Driver’s License, Electricity Bill, etc)
- Unlimited Daily Golf
- Choose From 36 Holes- The Nicklaus or The Norman Course
- Unlimited Range Access
- Unlimited Golf Car Fees
- 10% off Bar Car Purchases
- Free Initial Hour Swing Analysis from the Vidanta Golf Academy
- Vidanta Golf Members will Receive 25% off Any Lesson Package
- Access to the Vidanta Golf Academy Video Library
- Long Game, Short Game, Wedge Play, and Trouble Shot Notebooks
- Follow-up Swing Analysis via the V1 App with Tom Stickney, Director of the Vidanta Golf Academies & Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor
- Vidanta Summer Golf Members Receive Advanced Bookings Privileges
- Preferred Tee-Times Blocked for Vidanta Summer Golf Members Only
- Taylor Made, Titlelist, or Callaway Rental Clubs Offered at 50% Off
Litibú Golf Club
This is a government-owned course that is inside the gates of the tourism development in Litibu. They don’t offer memberships but do have packages of green fees. Purchasing between 10-19 green fees offers a 30% discount. Between 20-49 a 35% discount and 50 or more a 40% discount. Regular fees are $1,600 pesos prime time and $1,200 pesos for Twilight (after 2PM). The discounted rates include a golf cart.
Punta Mita has two great golf courses by Jack Nicklaus, but playing there is reserved for property owners or hotel guests.
The best day rate is at Flamingos, followed by Litibú, which unfortunately are quite a ways away for people in Vallarta, and especially South Shore golfers. For them, their best bet may be Marina Vallarta, which also offers discounts to play at the Vista Vallarta courses. An advantage regarding the green fee packages is you can share them with your spouse, family and friend, purchasing more and getting further discounts. Whereas at Marina Vallarta the membership is per person only.
For more information about golf in Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit, visit this page.